Does Your Story Deserve to be Told

I was recently going through a couple debut novels that didn’t so well in stores, trying to assess what went wrong.

Almost all of them were way out of the genres I was used to reading, so going in I didn’t have much expectations. But as I read them I didn’t see why they were any lesser than any other book by any other bestselling author out there. Why didn’t they do well then? Not that these books changed my life or anything, but they were still each a story worth telling.

A story told from heart. A story told in spite of pain and hardships. A story probably told with hopes like – maybe now, somebody will listen.

And yet, these books will just end up becoming another book that didn’t do so well in stores and hence, forgotten. That got me wondering if my own book was any worth at all. Won’t it just become another book that just never sold any copies anywhere outside my friends circle?

As a storyteller, doubting if your story even deserves to be told is very heart breaking.

So, how can one know if they should write something? How can they know if people will care? How can they know that this will be what they were born to do when there’s no certainty that it could matter to someone even in the smallest ways?

Truth is, you will never know.

When you think about it maybe you don’t have to.

Before you go ahead and scoff it off, I want you to know that this isn’t coming from somebody who’s doing great in this field. I’m struggling just as any other new writer is right now. Just as much as probably you are. Doubting every step in my journey as I take it. I know what it feels like to put your story out there for the world to see, and still have nobody give a sh*t.

But I guess I realized something when I sat down and asked myself this one question –

“If you can never know for sure how the world will react to the story that you put all your sweat and tears and time and every drop of your soul into, will you still work just as hard to tell it right?”

Your answer to this question will answer the question in the title too.

Peace out.
💋

Me trying to be interactive –

Ever doubted if your story deserved to be told? Has that stopped your from creating/writing/publishing something really close to your heart?

19 thoughts on “Does Your Story Deserve to be Told

1. Dear Almandyne,

Thoughtful post. For me the answer boils down to what is in your heart. When the desire to write is actually a burning flame, and the story to be written comes out of that flame, then there is no other choice but to write it.

While the concerns we may have are a part of the struggle and creative process, addressing them can be very informative on how to shape the story. This would be in terms of studying your audience.

Yet I truly believe that flame is the cteative fire within and to not take action will likely have detrimental consequences on our health, physical and emotional well being.

To be more succinct, listening to our inner voice and following our hearts is a gift that must be unwrapped.

Jordis xx

Liked by 2 people

2. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 1:07 pm

It’s heartbreaking when you write something you absolutely love and no one cares. I created so many fun characters and had them fighting for themselves. I was so happy for the longest time, but with each new story I wrote less and less people cared. The last one I was so proud of myself and I gave it to someone I adore and they didn’t seem to care at all. I couldn’t even get them to tell me they hated it, at that point at least it would have been something. I felt like I was finally writing the way I had always dreamed and not one person cared. I have lots of ideas, but it’s been two years since I last wrote a real story. If no one is going to read it then I’m not going to write. It’s not worth it.

Liked by 1 person

1. There will always be people out there who’ll stumble upon your story someday and thank you for writing it. Don’t let your present environment or situation discourage you. Keep writing. I’m sure the world needs a writer like you too in it. ❤☺

Liked by 1 person

1. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 2:57 pm

That is really sweet of you to say but my heart isn’t it. I wanted to touch people and if no one reads it or cares then everything I did was pointless. There are millions of writer’s out there anyway and the world won’t miss me.

Liked by 3 people

2. If it matters to you, you should do it anyway. Writing only when you get positive feedback is a really dangerous pit to fall into.

Liked by 3 people

3. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 4:10 pm

I wrote for ten years and even the love of my life who is also a writer and an avid reader wouldn’t read my work. I never got ANY feedback. I would have been fine with bad comments at least someone would have read them but not one person in my life gives a damn about me and that hurts.. It hurts so much that it makes the writing completely unimportant.

Liked by 2 people

4. It does hurt. Every Writer goes through it. But the ones who surpass all that without letting anybody pull them down, are the ones the world notices.

It isn’t talent as much as it is perseverance and consistency that takes you one step higher on the ladder.

Liked by 3 people

5. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 4:52 pm

True, and I guess I realized that writing doesn’t mean much to me. I would trade it all for love because that’s what matters.

Liked by 2 people

2. It is very discouraging and for years I’ve held myself back. For me now, I no longer care if it is not popular. Very much like Almadyne says in her comment below. It will resonate with some and may even touch someone very deeply. For me that one or two people are worth it. And better yet, I am allowing myself to express what it is in my heart, which has changed everything and given me full self expression. The divine spark in all of us is worth it! Every word and thought that comes from your heart deserves expression. That is how we flourish and grow, by expansion as opposed to contraction. I hope that gives you a gateway of love and life to walk through.

Jordis xx

Liked by 3 people

1. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 4:58 pm

Well, no one who cared about me ever cared about what I said. I was stupid and worthless to them. I have tried and tried to florish but if no one cares it’s not worth it. When the people I love can’t stop going for two seconds and tell me they love me and are proud of me then why does any of it really matter? There is only one person I want to matter to and he would rather be shot in the head than to tell me he cares.

Liked by 3 people

2. Hi Dear, I am glad that you reached out and shared this. And I am responding because I care. And would say that the first line of action, is to say positive affirmations to yourself, how loved you are, how you love and care for yourself, how the divine presence in the universe loves you more than anything you can ever imagine. Love must come from within nit from without. If that makes sense. We will continue to attract people who we perceive do not care if we don’t shift that within ourselves. I say this because I spent my life looking for love and respect externally and just kept beating my head up agains a wall. It wasn’t until I shifted this within myself, which took many years, before it began to be reflected back at me through others. If you are committed to your craft and following your heart, I invite you to check out The Silent Eye School of Consciousness and explore this approach to raising your awareness and love in your life. I have been studying with them for several years, and it is a community of sincere and loving people. If you would like to chat more, my email is jordis1@icloud.com.

I trust that you will know that there are caring people in the world. And I am here for you whenever you want to reach out and share.

I think that your willingness to share what you’ve shared so far shows how much you care and how committed you are to giving your heart the ability to express itself.

With love and caring, Jordis

Liked by 1 person

3. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 6:15 pm

I’m sorry that I complained. I wasn’t trying to say more than my first comment and I got triggered and really sad when I realized I don’t have what is actually important to me. I have one person I want to talk to me and he won’t. I have learned to love myself and not expect anything from anyone because I know I won’t get good in return but it still hurts because I know I deserve good.

Liked by 2 people

4. No need to apologize, and I didn’t hear a complaint. I heard a voice that sounded very much like mine. One more piece of sharing, you do deserve good as we all do. It will come in time believe me, mine did after 54 years of feeling rejection whether real or imagined. I hope you didn’t mind my response, it was that your words touched me and I wanted to let you know that there is light and hope in this world,

Blessings to you,

Jordid

Liked by 2 people

5. theenchantedlabyrinth July 25, 2018 — 7:08 pm

I really appreciate your kindness. I just feel bad I was so pissy before and couldn’t be greatful for it. Thank you.

Liked by 2 people

3. You are an amazing writer okay? And it’s okay if people don’t care. You work so hard and it WILL pay off one day love. I promise you that. Don’t write for anyone. Your story is always worthy enough to be told. You are worth everything. Do not let any other human being dim your light. Much love for you. xoxo

Liked by 3 people

4. Nice post, and it brings with it a lot of questions and emotion. I’m not sure if this is the correct blog etiquette, but as this post inspired me to write something I wanted to share it here. https://thelethalist.wordpress.com/2018/07/25/a-question-of-self-worth hope that’s ok. Keep believing, doing what you love, and up the good work all!

Liked by 2 people

5. I guess it all boils down to really loving the writing process. Writing for reasons other than publication, or fame etc.
    It would be absolutely devastating to have a book that didn’t sell, but listening to countless podcast interviews, this happens to the best of authors, with books that are full of artistic merit.
    (Same goes for one star reviews!!! A writer can’t please everybody.)
    I have the feelings your blog post mentions when I see rows and rows of books on second-hand bookshelves, or in library clear-outs. There are SO many books out there, how can mine possibly have more than two seconds in the spotlight, assuming it EVER gets published?
    Just keep going, focus on the enjoyment and fulfilment of writing, and don’t give up! And share your fears – there are so many of us that feel the same way you do. It’s helpful to know you’re not alone!

Liked by 2 people

6. My answer is that I am starting to write my story, in fictional form, to protect innocent and guilty alike. It is a pen and ink manuscript, Prologue and five initial chapters of Book 1 drafted. It will piss some people off, because they will see themselves in caricature. Others will be pleased; amused or “MEH”. I will feel a weight off my shoulders.

Liked by 1 person

7. Let me ask you an eternal question, that one playwright and he asked it so well.
    We as writers, whatever our genre or out of genre can only do one thing.
    “To be or not to be, that is the question”.
    Don’t dare to care who will write, who will read. If all sci fi, authors didn’t care about their peers, we all would not have technology to begin. Once a father of Robotics, predicted about nanobots, yes they are in production in small and yet up and coming tech. Still Asimov didn’t care if he was rejected or accepted. I am daring you to be one the few.

Liked by 1 person